Popular Posts

Homemade Granola Bars

I know there are dozens of homemade granola bars out there, but I thought I'd share our favorite!  I've been making this recipe since we moved to China.  Granola bars are hard to find, and often hard as a rock when we do find them!  My kids LOVE these, and they are really simple to make.

Don't they look yummy?
My 8-year old wants me to add that they are "Delicious!"

**ALLERGY ALERT**
Yes, I know many of you will ask if this recipe contains nuts.  It does (in the form of peanut butter).

Ready to make a batch?

Throw your dry ingredients into a large bowl.  Rice Krispies, oatmeal, flaxseed and cinnamon (both optional).  Toss until blended.

I like to line a 9"x13" baking dish with wax paper.  My kids like chocolate on their bars, so I spread some chocolate chips on the bottom of the dish ahead of time.
(You can substitute regular chocolate chips here... I just usually use the mini.)

Place honey and brown sugar in a medium sauce pan.  Heat to boiling over medium heat while stirring constantly.

Once boiling, remove from heat.

Add peanut butter and vanilla to your sugar mixture.

  
Stir until well blended.

Pour your peanut butter/sugar mixture over your dry ingredients.

Acting quickly, gently blend until it is well combined.

Pour your granola mixture into your prepared dish (the one with the wax paper and chocolate chips).  Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly.  I like to add some sprinkles over top at this point.  I made a second batch (on the right) with sprinkles for Valentine's Day.

  
Use your spatula to firmly press your granola mixture down so it is nice and compact.
Set the pan aside to cool completely.  I like to give it an hour or so.  I've placed it in the fridge in the past, but if it gets too cold, your bars are more likely to crack when you cut them... so be careful not to leave in the fridge for too long.

(I'm annoyed with this photo.  It will not rotate for me!!!)
When your granola is cooled, transfer to a cutting board.  This is how I like to cut my bars.  I try to get 16-18 bars cut with each recipe.

Wrap them up with plastic wrap, and toss them in the cupboard so they are ready for school lunches or snacks!

Happy Snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment